Friday, June 19, 2009

Oops, I still have a blog...

I had grand plans to post a few times this week. Ultimately, I didn't feel like/didn't have time to write anything, and suddenly it's Friday night and tomorrow I'm starting a journey to Mozambique. Obviously since it's Friday night I have much more exciting things to do than write blog posts, such as wash my dishes and sweep, and besides this week though busy was disappointing so I don't have a lot to report. But here is what I've been doing lately, encapsulated in a list, because I like lists. This should not come as a surprise to anyone.

1. I discovered that it is very frustrating to make changes in a language manual when you don't speak the language and all of the edits come from margin notes, made by people whose contact information you don't have.

2. I was supposed to do site visits today and yesterday but they were canceled at the last minute. By canceled I mean my counterpart pretended to forget that we were supposed to do them and totally never admitted that we had ever scheduled them at all. She also ignored me every time I suggested we schedule new ones. (Site visits to drop-in centres taking the training class.)

3. I spent nearly two days solid doing data entry on the fifty drop-in centres that have in some way or another produced paperwork at our organization. My back hurts but I am very pleased with the state of my spreadsheets now. They are beautiful and it is easy to find data!

4. I made a vow never, ever to have anything to do with ordering customized clothing emblazoned with a logo for a large group again. Unless maybe it comes from cafepress.

5. I went to a Peace Corps workshop to work on the next pre-service training and learned an enormous quantity of Setswana grammar over the course of two days while pretending to be an eager American trainee with lots of clueless questions. I only know about ten words, though, if you don't count noun concords (which I can recite, by the way).

6. Our kitchen is looking really good. No roof or door or window panes or indeed floor yet, but the basic shell is done. I would post a picture but I keep forgetting when it's daylight.

7. I realized that rounding up, I have been here 17 months. 9 more to go! That's kind of scary.

All right. That's all for today, folks.

No comments: